4 Simple Strategies to Keep Aging Teeth Healthy
You may be surprised to learn that aging can have an effect on your teeth. Follow these expert dental care tips for a healthy smile at every age.
1. Make Brushing Twice a Day a Life-Long Habit: Regular brushing is a dental care essential at every age because it helps remove the bacteria build-up on teeth that leads to tooth decay and gum disease. Dental care experts find that decay frequently develops near receded gums or around older fillings in aging teeth. That’s why you need to see an affordable dentist regularly to watch for these problems. Maintaining good oral hygiene at home is also a must, which means brushing at least twice a day for two to three minutes at a time to thoroughly clean your teeth.
2. Focus on Daily Flossing: You may not realize that your gums need as much attention as your teeth. Brushing cleans the surface of teeth, but only floss can remove the plaque between the teeth and gums that a toothbrush just can’t reach. If this plaque remains, it can lead to gum disease, the most common cause of tooth loss in older adults. In addition, research has shown that gum disease is a risk factor in developing heart disease, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. To protect both your dental and overall health, floss your teeth at least once a day, preferably right before bed.
3. Adopt a Healthy Diet: Did you know that the foods you choose can help you keep your teeth healthy and avoid tooth loss? Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes are chock full of the nutrients that enable your body to fight inflammation and bacteria to protect your aging teeth and gums. Dental care experts recommend eating these healthy foods every day:
- Crisp fruits and vegetables including apples, carrots, and celery not only are packed with vitamins, but the act of chewing them removes plaque from teeth.
- Milk, calcium-fortified juices, yogurt, and cheese are sources of the calcium and vitamin D needed for strong teeth. Plus, the calcium in cheese sticks to teeth and guards them against decay-causing acids.
4. See Your Dentist Routinely: Proper at-home dental care is important, but it’s critical to get professional check-ups and cleanings on a regular basis. If you’ve been putting off going to the dentist, don’t wait. Find an affordable dentist who can help you preserve your aging teeth. Studies have shown that your oral health is a significant indicator of your overall health. Dental problems can be a sign of a more serious disorder in your body, or they can cause one if oral infections spread unchecked throughout your system. Often, dentists discover medical problems before a doctor, so keep up with your dentist appointments.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Citrus Park, call Advanced Dental Care of Citrus Park today at (813) 448-3957 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Citrus Park. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Citrus Park, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Citrus Park.